Pages

Thursday, May 8, 2014

Top 11 Looks from the 2014 Met Gala

This post is basically serving as both, another method of procrastinating about studying for finals (my next one is this Saturday, Saturday exams...eww) and as a fulfillment of my addiction to fancy clothing. Unlike with the Academy Awards, see my earlier post on the subject, I don't even have to pretend to be interested in anything other than the fashion, because that's basically the point.


Even better, at the Met Gala (formally the Costume Instiute Gala) it is completely acceptable to make over-the-top fashion risks. So it's a bit like couture Halloween and celebrates fashion as an art form. This year's theme was Charles James, a famous British-born fashion designer known for a highly structured and elegant aesthetic.

Arizona Muse in Ralph & Russo
This dress is definitely classic old-hollywood glamour. I love the color, and the silhouette. I'm not crazy about her super slicked back hair though.

Beyonce in Givenchy
I have to admit that I adore this beaded creation, despite the fact that I would probably not be brave enough to wear something like this. I also love her birdcage veil, it's such a classy hair accessory. I'm not completely sure how well this fits with the theme, but it's Beyonce so she still pulls it off.

Blake Lively in Gucci
The train on this gown is gorgeous, as is the shimmery blush color. Blake Lively is one of those people who I feel looks unrealistically gorgeous all the time, but I have to admit this outfit is particularly lovely.

Diane Kruger in Jason Wu for Hugo Boss
 Sometimes Diane Kruger's fashion choices can be a bit risky, so they don't always work, but this one definitely does. I love the neckline, it's definitely not one of the more common ones, and the half-train that the skirt has going on.

Dree Hemingway in Proenza Schouler
Compared to some of the other looks of the night, this is pretty casual. I definitely still like though. Despite the plunging neckline, this well-tailored dress looks pretty classy. On a side note, I wish I could get my hair to look like that, you know...ever.

Emma Stone in Thakoon
Emma Stone proves the old idea that redheads can't wear pink wrong (although I suppose technically she isn't a true redhead, but hey I think it counts). This two-piece look is definitely not typical for the Met Gala, especially with a theme where the ballgown seems to be the look of choice, but it's so cute. I would definitely wear this, which is more than I can say for other outfits on the red carpet, and I adore her relaxed braid.

Karolina Kurkova in Marchesa
This structured, asymmetric ballgown is so cool. The color choice is lovely, and apparently the flowers are hand-painted! I do have to wonder how combortable it is though.

Suki Waterhouse in Burberry
This dress looks like it would be a lot of fun. I love the color and the tiered skirt. It's definitely one of those looks which is classy, but not too stuffy.

Tabitha Simmons in Dolce & Gabbana
I'm admittedly a bit on the fence with this one. It's clearly a bit out there, and you definitely couldn't get away with wearing something like this in the real world. But, it's the kind of dress that every little girl, or at least me secretly wishes she had when she's pretending to be a fairy princess (don't lie, you know you did). So I'm going to have to give it a pass for that alone.

Taylor Swift in Oscar de la Renta
Now it comes as no surprise that Talor Swift did well with a theme focused on feminine, retro glamour. I'm especially fond of her hair in this look, yet another one of those looks that requires hair far more cooperative than mine (or at least far more hair product and time than I am ever willing to invest). Her embroidered, rose-colored dress isn't especially impressive from the front, but the show-stopping train more than makes up for it.

Liu Wen in Zac Posen
This is definitely my favorite look of the night. I will admit to being a sucker for the classic ballgown, even if I do look like I'm drowning in fabric should I ever try one on, and I would try to steal this one if I could. I love the structured skirt, although it's another one where I have to question its comfort, and the slightly asymmetric neckline. Her simple and elegant hair and makeup are a good balance for the gown's dramatic silhouette.










No comments:

Post a Comment