Pages

Monday, March 3, 2014

Best & Worst Looks from the 2014 Academy Awards

As many of you may know, I love movies and I also love clothes. So basically the Oscars are a wonderful occurrence (and not just because the fact that Jennifer Lawrence tripped again is completely hilarious).

I will admit however that I am vastly more interested in the actresses' choices of gowns than I am in the movies chosen by the Academy. No matter what choices are made in the winners of different categories, there is always going to be something that bothers people. I do think that everyone who was recognized this year deserved their win, so did many of the other nominees, but unfortunately they cannot all win. It is probably a good thing that I am not one of those who chooses the winners because, when it comes to movies, I basically love them all (even if they're terrible).

Anyway, on to the fun part, fashion (which I am totally capable of judging). Every year I look at the lists of best and worst dressed from the Oscars, sometimes I agree and sometimes I definitely do not. This year, since I have my own blog, I'm going to put my opinions out there.

Now, I'm just going to note that I'm only talking about the ladies of the red carpet, because I have no idea what I'm talking about when it comes to men's fashion (unless they do something spectacularly awful I'm just excited to see a man in tux). Sorry if you feel left out.

Jennifer Lawrence in Dior
As has become her standard, Jennifer Lawrence wore Dior to the Oscars. I do like the dress, it's a really gorgeous, saturated color and she looks amazing in it, but it definitely wasn't my favorite of the night. Fortunately, Jennifer Lawrence's awesomeness far overshadows her less amazing gown choice. Classy, but not thrilling.
Anne Hathaway in Gucci
I can't decide if I like Anne Hathaway's gown or not. It puts me in mind of armor, which I'm not completely sure is a good thing, but at least it's interesting.

Cate Blanchett in Armani
As always, Cate Blanchett looks ethereal and elegant. I know this gown is the same color as her skin tone (and not all that far off from her hair color), but I still really like it.

Emma Watson in Vera Wang
I really like that Emma Watson's dress is sort of casually elegant, and it actually looks like it would be comfortable! The colors may be a bit subdued, but the sparkle gives it a bit of life and I like the pop of her red lipstick.
Angelina Jolie in Elie Saab
I don't care how many best dressed lists I see this dress on, I hate it. It doesn't really flatter her, or fit all that well, in my opinion. I'd probably like it better if it weren't so loose at the top, because it just looks like a bag covered in (admittedly pretty) sequins.

Jennifer Garner in Oscar de la Renta

I love Jennifer Garner's flapper-esque silver dress. It looks like it would be so much fun to dance in. I also like her understated hair and make-up, since the dress is definitely a statement piece.

Kate Hudson in Versace
I'm surprised by how much I like this dress, normally I would think the cape feature was a bit weird. But I guess if you can't try fashion that's a bit out there at the Oscar's, where can you?

Charlize Theron in Dior
I don't particularly like or dislike this one. I think the top half is rather pretty, but I don't really like the bottom. I do like her hair and jewelry though, so I guess that puts it over on the positive.

Amy Adams in Gucci
I really like this dress, it's a really timeless silhouette and the color looks great with her skin tone.

Lupita Nyong'o in Prada

Finally, my absolute favorite of the evening. I would definitely love to have this custom Prada gown in my closet. The color is spectacular (she apparently said that the blue reminded her of Nairobi); the pleated skirt and plunging neckline are dramatic and eye-catching without being too over the top. Plus, she totally deserved to win Best Supporting Actress for her role in 12 Years a Slave.

No comments:

Post a Comment